Skip to main content

tv   Andrew Keen How to Fix the Future  CSPAN  April 2, 2018 10:33pm-11:38pm EDT

10:33 pm
andrew came three crates technological change with political and economic unrest over the next hour he shares his thoughts on how to preserve humanity.
10:34 pm
>> good evening everybody. can you hear me in the back fax by naming my name is jonathan thank you for coming out this friday night before everything gets started if you could silence your cell phones that would be wonderful we just don't want any phones ringing they are recording for c-span so you don't want to be that person. also for similar reasons we would like you to come up to this microphone that way your question can be on the recording so everybody can hear it at a later date. then last thing after the talk it would be helpful if you could fold up your chairs and weighing them against a nearby bookshelf or phil or what have you that would be great in the meantime you can see a we are happy to have you take pictures, use
10:35 pm
social media as well during the event. >> not too much, but as long as we can promote this, that's great. >> and the politics an politicss as well. tonight we are here to welcome andrew came back to politics and prose it's been about three years since he's spoken for his last book the internet is not the answer which like his prior works has been instrumental in providing counterbalance to the frequent narratives of the technological developments pushing us into some progressive utopia. he speaks th speaks from experig worked on the entrepreneurial for many years for th posttest s and their critique of the internet's effects on our lives
10:36 pm
that has drawn praise from a man of cultural figures from nobel prize-winning authors to historians like walter isaacson and musicians and commentators like david lowery. his new book is somewhat brighter to the book how to fix the future which he does in fact see vital ways we can fix the future relationship with technology. examples of hope an hope in plam estonia to india to silicon valley itself. joining in the conversation tonight is christopher himself a technical entrepreneur, investor whose book start uprising which we also have tonight chronicles the business doom and modern middle east of dubai, cairo and more so help me welcome them both to politics and prose. [applause] with me start if i can buy thinking politics and prose and it's amazing off just bookstore but community people who love books not only in washington but
10:37 pm
pretty much everywhere. we think c-span has played a similar role taking people who love books and have written wonderful books to connect in a powerful way and thanks to all of you for being here tonight. your questions will be the high point of the evening. as i was introducing christoph christopher, have a venture capital firm called next billion ventures which is focusing on technology across virgin markets with a connection to silicon valley and i wrote about a start uprising which i assure you is the most hopeful book that's been written by an american in many years and is quite relevant and hopeful but of all the journeys i've had none have been more energetic educational or provocative than my near three decade friendship with andrew. a little bit more background he was born and raised in london, studied in sarajevo, got a master's in berkeley and taught at northeastern and more.
10:38 pm
he probably became himself a tech entrepreneur in the mid-90s and for decade or more with the rise of silicon valley firsthand. the books deconstructing it all has been a phenomenal and very provocative and controversial particularly among my friends in the west coast. this is a siren call to warn of user generated content. a digital vertical is warning us about the addiction of social media with ramifications and now the internet isn't the answer speaks for itself in its title thaand its titlethat became an l bestseller. i want to add gq magazine has called it one of the top 100 connect a man and i will note they haven't called him one of the best dressed up as we talk about how to fix the future there's an opportunity as well. andrew is a global citizen who understands america better than most americans i know but you can't fully take the englishman out of england. if you turn to page 146 he
10:39 pm
refers to joe b. berra as a shortstop. [laughter] as he said of the world were perfecperfect at what indecencye go with that but he also said i want to get into this marvelous book if you don't mind if we can spend a couple of minutes about this journey of the historian who got deep into silicon valley in a very unusual pas path and f you can talk about that. >> one of the nice things about silicon valley is that it's attracted a crowd. when i landed there for various ecological reasons in the '90s when a lot of other people were doing startups anyone could do it. i had no business background, experience and i still don't
10:40 pm
play the way. but anyone could do anything. i'm often called a skeptic and a critic but i'm actually a big fan of the openness and innovation and excitement of silicon valley. writing these books has been exciting but nothing wa is quits exciting as a startup in the '90s. i have no idea what i was doing but most of us did and so i felt very lucky to have had the pure luck to have been in the mid-30s in san francisco in the '90s and had no career, no future. >> telthere wasand all of the m
10:41 pm
easily bored and i think after the violent silicon valley particular in these evangelical events you get bored hearing the same thing that technology is going to improve the world and change the world and make it a better place. before i was an entrepreneur i was a failed academic as jim will tell you or not telling you. my background was in eastern europe so having that knowledge and interest in seeing the seductiveness of ideas and the way that they can prove to be destructive was an interesting education that inspired me to
10:42 pm
write my first book and the theme of utopia. there's there is a question of a but if anyone from decades long can see what is going on in the world today they would be pretty impressed. as the article in the journal we are living longer than ever before, killing each other less. >> people say there are things that need to be done but it's a time to be alive. what are they missing and what do you see differently? >> the work is interesting. his argument is credible but there's no doubt we ar are livig through a profoundly disruptive time in history the digital
10:43 pm
revolution as i argue is a consequential structurally dramatic as the industrial revolution in the middle part of this country. sure no one is starving. we don't have the livin 11-years working in factories. cities are not so awful we can still walk in the streets and people don't have barricades as we walk outside but we are living out whether or not he's right we are living out a very troubling time when we talk about fixing the future it assumes it is broken and there are four areas in particular associated in this revolution which i was addressing. the cause and effect is complicated and i don't want to
10:44 pm
turn it to blame everything on the digital revolution but certainly the increasingly dramatic economic and cultural inequality of our time, the looming threat of structural unemployment particularly associated with aicountercultural crisis that is manifested from eco- chamber culture to fake news to the instability of the web is the fact that we have been increasingly xenophobic culture manifested with certain individuals and that surveillance capitalist model of silicon valley companies like facebook and google where we become the product and watch everything we do has a big issue. i don't know what you think about that and whether it is worse than the industrial revolution. i'm sure you could argue fewer people died in surveillance
10:45 pm
capitalism on the western front in the first world war neither here nor there i don't think people need to be reminded things were worse than history so you shouldn't worry about what is going on in our own society. if we feel alienated and lonely and exploited and we don't have a job they are going to drive a car in the morning a and a fried out our house in the afternoon and whether or not we are more or less exploited and hungry is neither here nor there. >> it's interesting because every time technology comes i don't think they were sitting on a beach watching the plane take off saying someone is going to use this to bomb one day. technology always has a double-edged sword and he articulates some of these.
10:46 pm
talk about in the book the problems with facebook and it's interesting becaus because of te places i go on the ground i see these poor communities around the world with facebook and considering that their connection to a world they never could have seen four or five years ago because of things like that. i interviewing the driver interd they think of themselves as small-business men and women. they can make the same amount of money. >> how do you think about this because there are new issues that come with it but there's issues unleashed by technology solving problems we could have dreamed of five years ago. >> we have to get beyond the discussion of this with a black-and-white debate about technology. in some ways it has been dramatically beneficial that i could sit here and talk about addiction or talk about how
10:47 pm
drivers claimed to be earning less than the minimum wage. i could talk about the ways that companies like uber are not even covering health insurance so the argument is credible on the other side and your experience in the developing world is quite different and the focus has been on the developed world rather than the developing world so you are right and certainly the services and innovations, startups they offer remarkable opportunity though i would say some of it is extremely seductive they don't know the numbers but how many startups are actually realized and how many kids from the slums are getting funding from view?
10:48 pm
>> you see kids come out of nowhere this using a mobile phone to reach down and take and unfortunate two to $5 a day which doesn't sound like much but it's a lot and so it's not just a manifestation of silicon valley startups in a lot of the marketthemarkets it's the fact e have tools in their hands to allow them things they never saw before and reach customers they were never able to reach before. >> i agree sometimes wh why he works may seem disturbing in that sense my critique is mostly of the postindustrial west. for me to tell you i startups in africa shouldn't use this to develop a business would be absurd if it's not an area i write much about. >> you do something interesting even people like elon musk are
10:49 pm
calling for you wouldn't think people like you guys would be doing this. you're calling for more regulation that the government needs to step up in some of these issues in ways you don't normally hear businesspeople call for. what's going on their? >> i'm not sure that the business peoplbusinesspeople ar, some in silicon valley are hostile to regulation but i think most business people over the years recognize the value of regulation. one of the things i argue in the book is there's an intimate relationship between innovation and regulation so for example in the 90s you had one dominant technology company microsoft strangling innovation so dramatically the regulators had to come along and focus on antitrust, underline them, take their eye off the ball which enabled the explosion of the web
10:50 pm
into your bac we're back to thee again in 2018 we have five tech companies that are the five largest most highly valued companies in the world and they are undermining, google, apple, microsoft, amazon and facebook, three in san francisco and in seattle. as your friend will remind us or maybe he's not her friend, companies want to be monopolies. that's natural you want to dominate your market but that isn't good for innovation. i think he is profoundly wrong to say that it benefits society, they don't. you need the regulators to step in to make sure that they don't work in factories, to protect
10:51 pm
the environment and social security. we need the same kind of regulation today whether its antitrust regulation, the walls on protecting data privacy for consumers, whether it is about perhaps even how people use technology these are a sensual and have been through history nothing has changed so i think sensible people whether it's bill gates recognized the value and i think silicon valley is changing. more and more people are recognizing technology is about to be regulated. we've moved into the third wave and it's the political stage that's why they spend more money here than anyone else. it's not a bad thing. in the book i suggest the french
10:52 pm
are excessive regulators which forces google to pay newspapers when they send them t users is absurd and counterproductive but others are very valuable and as i spend a lot of time in the buck in europe if the europeans who are leading. >> and a lot of the concerns particularly washington where the regulators get them to understand what it means is shall we say often a challenge and in this book you talk about amazing innovators in government and i would love for you to talk about some of these examples. it's an opportunity your book underscores that plus a t-shirt
10:53 pm
that says visit the estonia before it visits you. what does that mean and why does it matter to people i the peopls room? >> they are pioneering a contract between citizens and government around data. i have a whole chapter which i call for a utopi the utopia anda real place and what they are doing in terms of experimenting around the digital ball into privacy and transparency is important and real. whawhat you're doing and it coms back to your point about politicians being technologically literate is that often many of which are ex- entrepreneurs with a sort of moving staircase pin positions and entrepreneurs. they are reinventing democracy by making sure there's more transparency on data.
10:54 pm
it's too easy to fall back and assume we can protect our privacy. i am not so sure about that but it protects privacy and acknowledges that in the digital age everything will be known about us and the question then becomes what rights does the government have in terms of snooping on us and the model that they are responding to were reacting against his the russian model of the kingdom an kingdome digital orwellian as i'm aware e all the data is collected and citizens are rewarded for their political correctness by the government. >> singapore is this amazing story and sometimes i think we forget years ago they had nothing, no natural resources to speak up, no economic area, kicked out for all intensive
10:55 pm
purposes and became a phenomenal model of a hub for business trade and it's now doing the same thing it sounds like from your book which is amazing to me after so you have a quote where they had inclusive ways technology is being delivered. >> i'm kind of ambivalent about singapore pioneering a smart nation initiative where all the data the government is collecting for the benefit as most of you will know which house they veered sort of hybrid physical system somewhere between the kind of benign authoritarianism and genuine democracy. what they arwhat they're doing e estonia but again they are using connectivity and the education to drive a more dynamic
10:56 pm
innovative democracy. i have two chapters which i tightly utopia part one and part two. i know that one of the hubs for your venture capital firm are in singapore and it is good at encouraging innovation. one of the things that interested me is many of the socially responsible startups which the government is encouraging is a more corporate top-down kind of model am not sure it could work in america. this may be a follow-up question i would anticipate how does this have an impact on america given that this functionality we all know about. what's interesting is they are smaller countries singapore
10:57 pm
being a city state and estonia being a tiny place on the northeastern edge of europe what's interesting in america is the inspiration of singapore and estonia is happening at the local level you entire bush friendly with the governor of rhode island. she told me we are inspired by what estonia is doing and we are using it as a model for our government, forever digital initiative. so i think stuff is happening in america that is happening on a local level and in terms of scale and of a local nature it is much more in conformity with what is happening in singapore and estonia. just as americans are good at teaching the world with a the silicon valley mentality assumes everyone is listening to them and that they have nothing to learn from the rest of the world. at the point of my book is to
10:58 pm
suggest the reverse. i spent six months and 200,000 miles traveling around the world from estonia to singapore to germany to india to russia and many are positive, some are negative that we have much to learn from the rest of the world. the internet has become just splinter. we can learn from singapore and estonia and india, germany, brussels, the new walls and initiatives taking place outside of silicon valley. >> it's become almost a fun game now. some journalists have fun with it. i talked to a well-known journalist who said they've surveyed articles and there has
10:59 pm
been an absolute slant to this out of proportion to the amount and she said it is true it was somewhat generational bear this talk of silicon valley because they blame them for disrupting the news business and everything else. is that fair is their right to be coming at them in this way and what do you think of the balanced lessons silicon valley and people everywhere can go where we have this kind of anti-tech viewed not only i vien the press that all swear? >> nobody really likes seriously rich people. when a 25-year-old is worth -- [inaudible] how many people like a 25-year-old multibillionaire? no one. it's annoying because we know
11:00 pm
they went to vegas and won the lottery. the reality is there's an element may be a little bit of jealousy or annoyance that people made so much money without deserving it and since most of us have real jobs as teachers and professors and people who work in stores and we know how much we earn from a real day's work. what i would say in a sense it is just all too human. but i would say about some of them barely is that some of the criticism is fair. these people have to grow up and become more responsible. i have a chapter where i talk about moral responsibility as a general rule you break it you fix it, you walk into the story you break something you have to pay for it. whether it is the destruction of
11:01 pm
democracy in america, whether it is the impact on work and the role in automating the workplace and creating a new kind of digital tailoring people have a responsibility to at least think and fix some of this stuff. the founder of craigslist understood it broke local journalism so having made a lot of money he spent most of his life actually trying to figure out how to reinvent local newspapers. so i think that the silicon valley critique is legitimate and important. we have to force these people to grow up. my book is very --'s vr models.
11:02 pm
they are being forced to grow up and they are growing up so i think that it's legitimate and i don't think that it's healthy to just trash them. i agree with a lot of that there's somthereis some stuff to touch on. i want to remain focused on the book and on that theme i've will turn to the couple of things before i open up to questions. what did you mean by super
11:03 pm
citizens in the book lacks >> they are bill gates of the world who for one reason or another have so much wealth they have more power than government so they can shape social policy and determine what happens with healthcare. we see this with the initiatives in terms of reforming american healthcare so they are the people that have so much economic power they can shape public policy more effective than the government particularly given in it is so dysfunctional. >> how many people when i say one don't want to know what i'm talking about? that's about typical for me maybe 10% of the audience. one belt one road is probably the greatest in the development initiative 40 times the size in
11:04 pm
today's dollars of the marshall plan and china has been building infrastructure around what used to be the old silk road but more than that now. but they are doing is not just building infrastructure from the ports and roads which were necessary but they are building technological infrastructure and the companies are spending a lot of time expanding and working with the markets being an ally in raising the trends and also benefiting from that. i think china looms over some of the stories you talk about in the book. talk about how we should be thinking about china in all this. >> we should be thinking about china ambivalently and respect and even celebrate their innovation. i think many of the companies and you know thithat you know ti do they are more innovative and
11:05 pm
have better products, more consumer friendly products but i also think we should be very fearful of the future because what china and the new leadership is protecting and i use that word carefully ironically it is a new kind of digital orwellian as i'm in which they now have the technology through facial recognition and all of the other data collection tools and technologies on top of the kind of increasingly sophisticated platform to know what everyone is thinking and doing all the time. there's a certain accountability that there is no accountability in china but leadership is doing everything at once and i think what is emerging as the new kind of cold war dichotomy that is
11:06 pm
far from ideal and is problematic in crisis and a new kind of dictatorship that is enabled by technology, so why do we should respect and acknowledge and celebrate chinese ingenuity and innovation, the problem in china is the government itself is still operating on malice principles and totalitarianism and using technology for the benefit so that is something we should be fearful and troubling in model to the developing world you know better than i do for the first time perhaps since nazi germany there is an economic rival to the western democratic capitalist model which is actually credible and can compete so we have to wake up to that and figure out what's wrong with it and write about
11:07 pm
it. i'm not an expert on chinese domestic politics and i'm not sure for mos what most people tk about it but one has to assume most people at least privately are not happy about it no one wants to be watched all the time. as human beings one of the most essential things about us is over privacy, the ability to protect our private space to determine who vr and also i wanted to add one thing about silicon valley that is also important to note is that the silicon valley business model is thaisn't that dissimilar to whas happening in china and i'm not saying facebook or google or malice were to tell it. and that's i am saying is the business model that perpetuates its digital surveillance economy is premised on us being watched
11:08 pm
all the time and being turned into products and the remarkable profitability is derived from our personal information so there is a troubling symmetry between what's happening until cavalli and china and history tells us the important thing these things in the long run never work when you have a product that exploits the consumer and turns the consumer into a product itself ultimately it is through old and i will not last. i useit will not last. i use the example from the 1950s.
11:09 pm
that undermined the american car industry and we all know where it is today. there are countries like germany that are experts in the reengineering of technology and what you're going to see certainly in brazil were singapore or dubai is the reengineering of this but the consumer is respected. they don't respect the individual and if we are to be successful and develop our agency being the key thing in my book, then we need to push back against these things. i'm not saying they are the same, but in some ways they are the equivalent.
11:10 pm
>> i talked to a lot of people in these markets and they ask about the china model. it feels like things that work. in thand the shift of abject poy to the standard economics is a mind blowing story so there are other countries that say i would like to do thi this by fasting r point about the consumer being forgotten i'd would like to push on that a little bit. people simply love netflix and the reason is because they used tthey usethe data to get better experiences. most of the successful companies that are databased are making our lives more careful. we are about to see shortly that profoundly powerful ways where you will never have a radiologist and because it will be much more effective at giving back. i think that the idea to have access to a lot of data doesn't give the consumers things that are not only life-changing and
11:11 pm
reforming that will stabilize in short order i think that is unlike any of the other analogies happening. >> of course you are wrong. [laughter] >> how many of you want an algorithm as a doctor? >> one, too. >> but that isn't the question. how many wan votes were doctorso have algorithms in other cases just like yours telling her or him the right answer for what you need. i don't think you can ask anyone under 35 who could say that's what they want because they want to live longer. >> you are changing the goal posts. i celebrate with the in the book. i think one of the tragedies of digital history is that we fell under the great seduction of the free information and that
11:12 pm
decimated the industry. how many books are free? none. in the book on a celebrate subscription models and see that as a positive development where netflix or spotlight are critical in some ways of the distribution process but there's nothing in the book that undermines netflix, so i celebrate those things. in terms of the business model i come back to the idea that we do not want to be completely transparent. when it comes to the issue of health care of course we want algorithms that can be most effective, but we found to protect our privacy. the issue is what are we going
11:13 pm
to do individual 21st century when we have machines that drive cars and that can be lawyers and doctors and engineers and computer programmers what is our value. our value is communication and creativity. the final chapter of my book focuses on education. they need to be taught how we focus on the strength and what computers can't do. algorithms and human doctors. let me reverse the question for you even in the developing world are we going to do?
11:14 pm
there were many people in their 30s who were making statements about stalin or hitler. look for stalin is doing with his plan they are making the trains run on time and putting german workers back to work creating all this value. so, i still think focusing exclusively on efficiency and wealth and not looking at democracy or individual rights is deeply problematic. >> we can unleash the engagement for human life and there are new conversations we could have five years ago and i think there's some way or an argument or
11:15 pm
debate or conversation that has to continue between these issues that you are raising and that is as opposed to thinking about it as you don't but many do and basically i want to go to the folks in the audience over here. they do an amazing innovation and it's an idea of the places and issues that you've raised some ideas of where we go from here and it's about the one thing that you raised like you d like you to dig a little bit deeper give me somewhere to stand and i shall move the earth and i would like you to talk about that because that is an important element to wrap up our session of arguments before?
11:16 pm
>> my first chapter, the traditional version the cofounder of intel suggested a three team on this computer chips with double in their power and that's why this computer in my pocket has the power of a supercomputer in 19601955 that would have filled this entire building. it would be a chip in my armor or an idea or something like that. but i come up with another version the 16th century author of utopia and for me this sort
11:17 pm
of theme runs through the book. for me, thomas moore's law is about the importance of agency and the importance of humans shaping their own future. we feel in this world of massively powerful tech companies v. inevitability of smart cars and augmented reality and virtual reality we feel less and less powerful. we feel as if we can't control anything and that is a problem. it makes human beings human. what defines this piece is the ability to shape the future and that of society. and that of course is always the challenge. it was the challenge where we fought against this absurd notion that predestination. it was the challenge of the middle of the century where we
11:18 pm
fought against many of the more corrosive and explicative consequences of the industrial revolution and its particularly the challenge today as the fight against smart technology that replicates us and minix us which does most of the things that historically we've done for work to the right our identity. so the wall in the book is about agency and defining the world for the future or for the future. and the point of the book is to not make this theoretical or utopian. i spent six to nine months traveling around with little bandits .-full-stop examples of the entrepreneurs and regulators and the players indicated
11:19 pm
changing their worlds. you are a great example of an american entrepreneur who's dedicating his life to enabling innovation so it's not unique or special and rather than focusing on our powerlessness focusing on what we can do to change the future. as parents, teachers, controlling our own technology use, electing politicians who will become responsible regulators. we can do something and of course it is the message in the
11:20 pm
media. if we can act on that we can make the future a better place. if we do nothing then inevitably the future will be bleak. >> you have a sense of this speed to i am a frequent audience member here in this community. i appreciate the talk and the
11:21 pm
debate format than just the authors driving the point home. one of the things that happened as a result of the debate is that the book deals with the developing worl world were not inserted by a discussion will go that way and for better or verse i wanforworse i want to continua little bit. your conclusions depend on how it ends u is shaping the develog world and how technology ends up shaping the sort of economic world order.
11:22 pm
>> the issues debated in the book i think in short order we will never use the word developing order again. there will be onthat will be ont events of the time. >> america will become the developing world. >> these things you talk about both the positive and cautionary ways overall all the issues you raise in th the bunker once fols folks are addressing now.
11:23 pm
the distinction between the developing and developed world wasn't useful to. technology is increasing the economic well-being of people around the world, but as you say chinese don't like to be surveilled and will technology enable them to at least limit out and bought change -- >> we need to move onto the next
11:24 pm
question. >> i think that the estonian model in particular speaks of the way in which countries can use technology creatively to enrich the democracy they certainly need it to enrich democracy that we hav but we hae careful about expecting too much. there is no apt and again it is a human invention and wealth effect is a. [inaudible]
11:25 pm
i moved here last week. >> congratulations. >> what kind of countries policies what are they doing and whether or not they are applicable. i've spent some time in india is about the classic liberal when it comes to the issue of identity and privacy. it's the sort of undermine their opportunity the fact they don't have an identity, they cannot prove who they are.
11:26 pm
you can imagine it is all having our privacy stolen but if you don't have an identity to be stolen, then that is even worse. i talked to the people that were developing the system and that is more applicable to the other developing parts of the world. with estonia and singapore in particular my sense is that the contribution is to change the debate. it's not about whether or not the government knows everything about this because the reality is they probably will.
11:27 pm
it becomes a more and more central feature. it is extremely important in making the government accountable without any kind of manner. at the same time i think we have to acknowledge that government sometimes does have the right to access the data if we've broken the wall and have done something wrong we should be told all about it and indeed it is an initiative on the system in finland and holland and brazil inspired by the model as well as at the local level.
11:28 pm
the comment is on china i am a skeptic as well and the last time i looked at the income it was about $800,000 a year so let's say it's about ten now and itook 20 years of open us to eah fact do i think that we very often get a wrong idea about china. china could have a lot of different government approaches in my opinion. the question is on the digital revolution. and regarding big data and let's talk about algorithms. the digital revolution is a marvelous tool that the
11:29 pm
assumption that it speaks for itself i think is a fundamentally flawed assumption. i don't know a lot about the big data in the industry that having more is inherently better than less and there will speak for itself. my question is do we understand things better now that we have more data that we have 500 tv channels we can get streaming or not? on a skeptic that as a society we have a better understanding of some fundamental issues particularly social and political but i'll probably because we have more data.
11:30 pm
>> it's possible to make the argument because as the government becomes more and more knowledgeable about us as a sort of technocratic solution will become self-evident but what's interesting in the political purposes to reverse as we have a rational digital world it seems to be generating the xenophobia and chauvinism and narcissism not just in the u.s., but all over the world. ..
11:31 pm
>> particularly for women are people of minorities, does not seem to be an enriching, our democracy. whether big or little data but in an age of more self-knowledge and more detailed knowledge of how consumers and citizens act we don't seem to be more rational or reasonable. >> i think their central questions of our time. the mark of a great democracy is the ability to self correct. on things that they could
11:32 pm
become. were respectful of technology and its positive back specs. it should allow us to do better than before. i see people around the world on a regular basis. it has allowed us to get into our own a coach chambers and get into listening to laypeople who feel that way. we understand that is there. is the first evidence. how it happened i think it's quite exciting that people are talking about it in a positive way. the last thing is very often with almost any issue he you want an answer. i think polling is a skeptical thing where smart honesty in our google searches. there's new data that can give us better information.
11:33 pm
what is often not done and we didn't really talk about this, you look at almost anything the people polled my age and older and 35 and younger and it's astronomically different. i find it extraordinarily hopeful. there's a new generation coming up now building companies and teaching doing whatever else here. they're connected to women and men just like them where we can have an encouraging future. it's a fresh lens. >> and finally, couldn't agree more with the concluding chapter
11:34 pm
that focuses on my optimism on what is sisterly called digital natives. i think people growing up as digital natives are building a better world. they rediscovered analog i'm buying vinyl. i really looking at handwriting. like chris we may not always agree but were both optimistic. that is not derived from some utopian distraction of middle-age people the people have gone announcing what's happening in the world. when you do that there's reason to be optimistic. [applause]
11:35 pm
>> another author talks about their book, dealing with the future. another update tomorrow night when the focus will be on business and economics. we'll hear from the vice president of the rand corporation on efforts by florida farmworkers to improve the working conditions in her book, i'm not a tractor. the law professor looks at intellectual property and, you don't know me. david and rich with his reporting of a financial scam and the spider network. then history professor examines
11:36 pm
how factory production impacted the world social economic and political norms in his book. and william in the gambler. it's tomorrow night on book tv on c-span2. >> "washington journal", live every day with news and policy issues that impact too. foreign-policy magazine bethany discusses recent military developments in u.s. china relations. the carnegie endowment in the razor group talk about the future of the u.s. relations with china.
11:37 pm
>> some of our live coverage includes the daylong event on the future of iraq and syria. and security challenges for the middle east. beginning at 10:00 a.m. eastern on c-span2. sonic companion network on c-span, a conversation on at risk youth and school safety. >> tonight the focus is a future. here's microsoft president author of the future computed on artificial intelligence it's an hour and 15 minutes. >> good afternoon. i had the honor of introducing today speaker bd

22 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on