and associated text is in no way sponsored by or affiliated with any company, organization, or real-world good that it may purport to portray. 21g Prusa Face Shield
Miguel Garcia April 12th, 2020 There are so many copies of the Prusa floating around out there that it got to be a little overwhelming so I went to the Prusa site and downloaded the RC3. I like it but the print time was longer than expected so I changed a some things to enhance the original design and reduce material and time:
1. Lengthened the two shield mounting posts on the sides an additional 1.5mm and the center 1mm to ensure the shield would stay securely in place.
2. Added a shield retention hook at both ends of the frame, the portion of the frame that contacts the shield. This keeps the shield in place and prevents it from being pulled off by clothing or rubbing against something or flapping around.
3. The current RC3 design utilizes a flat elastic band to keep the shield securely on the head. I designed a 5.3mm swept hole along the headband attachments so either rubberbands or hair-ties can be used without falling off. Sure you could use them with the current design but the moment you set the shield down and the band is no longer in tension, they are falling off. See the pics that utilizes flat band, rubber bands, and hair-ties.
4. What makes the Prusa face shield effective are the comfort and security of the shield on your head. I didn't want to eliminate the comfort but I did have to sacrifice some height for shorter print times so I reduced it from 20mm to 11mm. This still provides for a comfortable and lighter face shield.
5. I didn't see the need to keep the front portion of the frame the same height as the surface that contacts the forehead ,so I tapered it down an additional 3mm only on the area that contacts the shield. This helped reduce a frame that was well over a 2 hour print time. It's early yet but I have the print time of this design down to 1hr. 14 minutes and I could probably reduce that time a bit more with some tweaking of the print specs.
6. Removed all text/logos. This helped a small amount in reducing print time.
I hope you see the value in the changes I made and this design comes in handy for you.