Skip to main content

Wisconsin History

Texts and other materials of historical value to areas within the state of Wisconsin. From: http://wi-research.info/



rss RSS

547
RESULTS


Show sorted alphabetically

Show sorted alphabetically

SHOW DETAILS
up-solid down-solid
eye
Title
Date Published
Creator
Wisconsin History
by Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge
texts

eye 989

favorite 0

comment 0

History of Barron County Wisconsin Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge 1922
Topics: history, Barron County, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
by E.F.G. Voekrodt, Publisher
texts

eye 1,449

favorite 2

comment 0

City and County Directory of Kewaunee, including City of Algoma and the Villages of Luxemburg, Casco, Stangelville, and Tisch Mills, together with The 21 Routes in the County, 1907-1908.  Containing an alphabetical list of names and business directory of the cities of Kewunee and Algoma; the 21 rural routes of the county in numerical order with lists of names of the persons receiving mail along these routes in the order in which they come on such routes; an alphabetically arranged list of...
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 3,111

favorite 2

comment 0

The Maribel Caves Hotel, also known as the Cherney Hotel, is where, according to an original hotel brochure, one could immerse themselves in "fine bathing, boating, and fishing." Located on County R, the hotel was was built by Austrian immigrant Charles Steinbrecker in 1900 and was originally named after the nearby Maribel limestone caves. Replicating many buildings from the Old World, the inn shared attributes of Europe’s medieval castles with a rounded tower in the southwest...
Topics: Maribel, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, hotel
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 901

favorite 0

comment 0

Lincoln High School, Manitowoc, Wis.
Topics: Manitowoc, Wisconsin, postcard, school
Wisconsin History
by Castello N. Holford
texts

eye 1,046

favorite 2

comment 0

History of Grant County Wisconsin Castello N. Holford 1900
Topics: history, Grant County, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
image

eye 245

favorite 3

comment 0

Official Highway Map of Wisconsin “The Playground of the Middle West” showing the State Trunk Highway System also the more important county trunk highways Scale: 1 inch = 19 Miles Issued for 1925 Blue Book
Topics: Wisconsin, highway, map, Blue Book
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 531

favorite 0

comment 0

Racine 1931 City Directory
Topics: racine, wisconsin, city directory, directory
Wisconsin History
by The Western Historical Company
texts

eye 590

favorite 3

comment 0

History of Northern Wisconsin The Western Historical Company 1881
Topics: history, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 538

favorite 3

comment 0

Racine 1954 Telephone Directory
Topics: racine, wisconsin, telephone directory, phone book, directory
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 143

favorite 2

comment 0

121 S. Superior St., De Pere The history of St. Mary Catholic Church begins in 1869 when a group of Hollanders, Belgians and Germans established Immaculate Conception Parish and built a church on the east side of the Fox River. A school was added in 1882 and the church property expanded to an entire city block. The present school building was built in 1952, with a cafeteria and eight classrooms added in 1960. In 1971, the school consolidated with St. Francis Xavier School and was renamed Notre...
Topics: De Pere, Wisconsin, Catholic
Wisconsin History
image

eye 585

favorite 0

comment 0

A classic downtown landmark.  Formerly 212 N. Washington Street.  Begun by Otto Kaap in 1907, the Kaap's Restaurant was located at several different places in downtown Green Bay. The business began as a candy shop at 125 Main Street and moved to 211 Pine Street where an ice cream parolor was added. With a move to 212 N. Washington in 1914, the menu expanded to include sandwiches and a tea room was added.  The building remained unchanged for over 60 years until it was torn down in 1980. 
Topics: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 688

favorite 0

comment 0

At one time sometime in the 1960s Green Bay had the greatest number of bowling alley lanes per capita of any US city.  Green Bay held that distinction into the late 1970's.   Here is a look at some of the bowling establishments. Ashwaubenon Bowling Alley 2929 Allied St, Green Bay Bay Bowl 115 S. Jefferson St. (started in 1925) in the WBAY building Broadway Bowl 415 N. Broadway St, Green Bay (burnt down in 1965) Bushville Lanes 2280 S County Road P, Luxemburg Carter's Club Lanes in West De...
Topics: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 421

favorite 3

comment 0

History of Buffalo and Pepin Counties Wisconsin (Volume 2) Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge 1919
Topics: history, Buffalo County, Pepin County, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
image

eye 177

favorite 0

comment 0

Cobb's Bakery later known as Mrs. Karl's Bakery. Located at 1438 Cedar Street.  The facility was constructed in 1923 and opened as Wernig's Sunlit Bakery, manufacturing "Fluffy White" bread. Four years later the facility was sold and renamed Cobb's Sunlit Bakery, manufacturing "Sunbeam" bread. The bakery continued under the Cobb's name until the 1960's, when the plant was sold again and renamed Mrs. Karl's Bakery.  Mrs. Karl's Bakery closed April 29, 1983.  Production of...
Topic: Green Bay
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 78

favorite 1

comment 0

Lincoln School - De Pere  aka “Lawtontown School” The first schoolhouse in West De Pere was Lawtontown School.  Built in 1865, a two story wooden frame building at the corner of Fort Howard Ave and North Sixth St.  Today, Lawton Park is located at that site. In 1900, they built a new school.  Officially known as Lincoln School, but it was still generally referred to as Lawtontown School.  It was built at the Northeast corner of Main and North Seventh Streets.  In 1956 a new Lincoln...
Topics: De Pere, Wisconsin, school
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 59

favorite 0

comment 0

Mike Earle as owner of Frank & Pat's, a pizza institution in Green Bay since the late 1950, has been making pizzas a priority for 13 years.  He took over ownership of the Green Bay pizza parlor in 1982. His father, Pat Earle, and his partner, Frank Pierri, started the Frank & Pat's tradition in 1955, when they opened Frank & Pat's Pizza Palace in Appleton. Five pizza places followed, including Frank & Pat's Pizza Parlor in Green Bay, which has never left its original brick...
Topics: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 37

favorite 0

comment 0

In 1963, Humphrey Chevrolet showed off four new cars purchased by Bay City Cab outside the dealership at 501 N. Jefferson St. in Green Bay. Humphrey, which claimed to be Wisconsin's largest auto dealer in the mid-1960s, opened in 1959.
Topics: Green Bay, tbt, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 1,946

favorite 0

comment 0

History of Brown Country Wisconsin: Past and Present: Volume 1. by Deborah B. Martin Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1913. Published in USA prior to 1923, public domain.
Topics: Wisconsin--History, Green Bay, Brown County, Brown Co.
Wisconsin History
image

eye 158

favorite 0

comment 0

Nicolet Elementary School, Green Bay, Wisconsin, (600 N. Irwin Avenue) The school was built in 1938 to replace Woelz School.  The building was constructed in the Art Deco style and was partially funded by the New Deal Works Progress Administration.
Topics: Green Bay, Wisconsin, school
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 52

favorite 0

comment 0

Hofa Park - Life in this Shawano County community revolves around farming, church and Friday night seafood dinners, area residents say. The biggest event in the southeastern Shawano County community is the St. Stanislaus Catholic Church picnic. It attracts about 800 people from throughout the area every summer. The picnic started more than 100 years ago. Jon J. Hof failed to settle Norwegians in the area but he succeeded in settling 1,000 Polish immigrant families in the Hofa Park, Pulaski,...
Topics: Hofa Park, Shawano County, Wisconsin, places
Wisconsin History
image

eye 53

favorite 0

comment 0

1910 Postcard of the St. Mary's of the Angels (Polish Catholic Church) Monastery (left) Church (Center) School (Right).
Topics: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
by Bob White
texts

eye 44

favorite 0

comment 0

A hot one, some 40,000 gallons of “regular” gasoline are shown going up in flames at the Wadham Oil Co. marine terminal tank farm Friday night. Four Wadhams employees and six city firemen were injured by the blaze and explosion.
Topics: Green Bay, Wisconsin, disaster, fire, explosion
Wisconsin History
image

eye 132

favorite 0

comment 0

2204 Willow Street / University Avenue The last “Pig” in the City of Green Bay opened January 13, 1960, at 2204 Willow Street, later renamed University Avenue.  On October 11, 1993, the last sales ad ran for Piggly Wiggly and by end of October Dick Kocian, owner of the store sold the site to Walgreens. This marked the last Piggly Wiggly store in the City of Green Bay Original Pictures from: Green Bay Press Gazette, January 12, 1960
Topics: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
by Janet Roberts
texts

eye 24

favorite 0

comment 0

Brussels' Big Bash Special guests help celebrate Belgian Days At Dyckesville's Lipsky's Bar are, from left, Auguste Hayot, Sturgeon Bay; Olga Fichaux; her husband, Willy Monfils; and daughter Sandrine, all of Belgium. Belgian Days is always a big event in an area that boasts the largest Belgian-American community in the United States, but there's more activity than usual this year. The two-day festival beginning Saturday coincides with a visit by the Wallonie-Wisconsin Club's Belgian branch. ...
Topics: Belgian, Brussels, Door County, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 128

favorite 0

comment 0

Located about 4 miles south of De Pere, Wisconsin, at 2836 Lost Dauphin Road, in the Town Of town of Lawrence at the foot of a hill overlooking the scenic Fox River.  This hospital for people afflicted with tuberculosis was built in 1913 and opened Feb. 15, 1914.   In 1929 the county built and adjacent structure and tore down the original. In January 1975 the tuburculosis aspect was phased out, and the facility then functioned briefly as a county operated nursing home center. By 1976 it was...
Topics: De Pere, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
image

eye 30

favorite 0

comment 0

Walnut St. Basque Bridge over Fox River, Green Bay, Wis. The largest bascule bridge in the world.  Combined weight of "lift" and concrete block 960 tons.
Topics: Green Bay, postcard, Wisconsin, bridge
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 36

favorite 0

comment 0

Flintville - Community is more of a feeling than a physical presence here. There is no Main Street, no quaint mom-and-pop grocery store, no cheese factory, dance hall or blacksmith shop anymore in Flintville, about 13 miles northwest of Green Bay. Developed as a logging community in the late 1840s, Flintville became a boomtown, historical records show. Suamico followed suit, though, and surpassed Flintville a a logging center. Homes now are nestled in among the pines, a few farms and a tavern...
Topics: Flintville, Brown County, Wisconsin, places
Wisconsin History
by UWGB Archives
image

eye 146

favorite 4

comment 0

Kaukauna, Wis Map
Topics: Kaukauna, Wisconsin, map
Wisconsin History
by Lizzie Rice Johnstone
texts

eye 36

favorite 0

comment 0

A Story Of Pittsfield And Suamico
Topics: Brown County, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
by Charles I. Martin
texts

eye 51

favorite 0

comment 0

History of Door County, Wisconsin: Together With Biographies of Nearly Seven Hundred Families, and Mention of 4000 Persons
Topics: Door County, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
by Karil Van Boxel
texts

eye 51

favorite 0

comment 0

There from start, St. Odile thrives Constant and Amelia Thiry bought 80 acres of swampland from the state of Wisconsin on July 10, 1857. The price was 50 cents an acre. The purchase gave birth to Thiry Daems - an unincorporated community about 3 miles north of Luxemburg in Kewaunee County. Unlike some speculation, the Daems portion of the name is "dames" misspelled.  It is  attributed to the Rev. Daems, the first parish priest at St. Odile Catholic Church. Like many nearby hamlets,...
Topics: Thiry Daems, Red River, Kewaunee County, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 344

favorite 0

comment 0

The Zuider Zee supper club, 1860 University Ave., in Green Bay, was a popular Dutch-themed supper club that was known for its unique style, entertainment and early installation of air conditioning. The supper club opened in the early 1940s and closed in 1989. It became Gipper's Sports Bar in 1990.
Topics: Green Bay, tbt, supper club, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 46

favorite 0

comment 0

Benderville Is The Oldest Summer Colony In The Green Bay Region
Topics: Benderville, Red Banks, Brown County, Wisconsin
In the early 1900s, the Enz Brothers operated a successful general store, cheese factory, and automobile dealership at the corner of Main and Wall Streets. The Enz Brothers purchased Hans Beyer's general store and cheese factory in 1899, and Dave Enz was appointed postmaster, since the Denmark post office was located in the store. At the store, they sold general merchandise, farm machinery, and buggies. In 1912, the original frame building burned down, and in 1915, a new brick building was...
Topics: Denmark, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
image

eye 58

favorite 1

comment 0

Washington Street, ca. 1935  On the right: Leath's Furniture Store (315-319 N. Washington); H.C. Prange Store (301-313 N. Washington) On the left: Pioneer Clothing Company (318 N. Washington); Kinney's Shoes (316 N. Washington); Grand Theatre (310-312 N. Washington); The Big Shoe Store (308 N. Washington); Stiefel's, Men's and Boy's Clothing (304-306 N. Washington); Levitas Clothing and Men's Furnishings (302 N. Washington)
Topics: Green Bay, Wisconsin, postcard
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 14

favorite 0

comment 0

Fontenoy is an unincorporated community in the Town of New Denmark in Brown County, Wisconsin, United States. It is located on County Highway P approximately 2 miles northeast of the village of Denmark. Fontenoy Is an unincorporated village on Brown County Trunk P, north of Highway 96 in the Town of New Denmark and a very short distance from Denmark. Its residents are chiefly of Bohemian, Polish, Danish and German ancestry. The name Fontenoy, was given to the village, according to Allen DeWane,...
Topics: Fontenoy, Brown County, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 23

favorite 0

comment 0

Rapids Elementary School The Manitowoc Rapids School was built some time after 1906. Christ Tegen who also designed the courthouse and Holy Family Hospital and many other buildings in Manitowoc was the designer of the 2 story structure. It was to cost $3700. They used 65,000 bricks and Ed Braunel dug out the basement under the school. Due the the influx of students who had parents working at the shipyards during WW2 a 2 story addition was added.  The school closed in 1973.
Topics: Manitowoc, Wisconsin, school
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 51

favorite 0

comment 0

Walter and Estelle Zahn speak proudly of Baileys Harbor. They remember a time when the community, about 65 miles north of Green Bay along Lake Michigan, thrived as a lumber and fishing center.  A flour mill, sawmill, cheese factory, boat builder and blacksmiths were here. Today, they point out the library, Baileys Harbor Town Hall, churches and a variety of businesses. The Baileys Harbor Women's Club and Lions Club also are active, the Zahns say. They are quick to mention the lodging, dining...
Topics: Baileys Harbor, Door County, Wisconsin, places
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 49

favorite 0

comment 0

The Glenmore Opera House on Glenmore Road at Langes Corner Road was built in 1900 and the tavern added on in 1910. Over its many years, it has compiled memories of every concoction from dancing, romancing, fights, to prohibition, and moonshine.  The old place seemed to be dying a slow death as the proprietor became older and the building was in need of many repairs.  Then in 1972, Fred and Marie Tiede purchased the place and began the revival of an old traditional fun spot with modern...
Topics: Glenmore, Denmark, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 48

favorite 0

comment 0

Standard Atlas Of Kewaunee County Wisconsin 1912
Topic: plat map
Wisconsin History
image

eye 60

favorite 0

comment 0

Joannes Pool 215 South Baird Street, Green Bay, WI 54301 Joannes Park Swimming Pool opened in June 1950 and closed in 1996.  It was replaced by the Jannes Park Aquatic Center, and the former pool area was transformed into a skate park.
Topics: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 39

favorite 0

comment 0

"The Big Sleep," starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, was the feature film at the Packer Theater in this 1946 photograph. Later known as The Pix, the theater was located at 310 North Washington St.
Topics: Green Bay, tbt, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 81

favorite 0

comment 0

Owners Corey and Kim Capwell plan to demolish the Carlton and build the Sunset Inn Bed and Breakfast, 2607 Nicolet Drive, in its place. The bed and breakfast will feature 10 guest suites, a full-service kitchen, a great room for guest events and access to the Bay of Green Bay. Carl and Karen Berndt owned the site since 1965 before selling it to the Capwells last year. It operated as the Carlton Inn from 1965 to 1998.  Since then, it has been home to popular restaurants such as the Harbor Fish...
Topics: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 21

favorite 0

comment 0

Many folks in Sturgeon Bay feel paradise begins at the peninsula. The Door County community is ideal for families, retirees and vacationers, say some residents. Nestled at the base of the Door Peninsula, the community meanders east and west of Sturgeon Bay and is united by the downtown bridge. The east and west sides had names before officially being called Sturgeon Bay under the city charter in 1883. Former cast side names were Ottumba, Graham and Tehema. For the west side, names included Bay...
Topics: Sturgeon Bay, Door County, Wisconsin, places
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 37

favorite 1

comment 0

The Colonial Village Shopping Center on the 1000 block of Velp Avenue (Velp at Grey) was newly opened when it was photographed on Dec. 2, 1958. Businesses within the shopping center included Widow Jones Bakery, Ben Franklin (later Colonial Village Variety), and Sure Way. Other businesses that later made home here are: Colonial Village Laundromat, and Empire Drug, Carswell's Shoe Store,  Bay Liquor Store (later Mid-Cities Liquor Store)
Topics: Green Bay, tbt, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 39

favorite 0

comment 0

The Green Bay Canning plant at 1429 Main Street was built in 1907 by the Zimonick family, in a section of town called three corners. The plant used to turn out thousands of cans of peas, beans, corn and carrots daily. Stokely USA bought out the company in 1987. The plant closed in 1995.
Topics: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
image

eye 76

favorite 0

comment 0

John L Bos, and his wife Pat opened a drive-up hamburger stand in Oroville, CA in 1970.  They moved back to Green Bay in 1980, at which time they bought a tavern.  The Boss, on Highway 57 between Dyckesville and Brussels.  The tavern was well know for its hot chili. Their last day in business was September 1, 2001 due to the Highway 57 widening project.  John Bos went on to bartend at a Supper Club in Little Sturgeon in the summer months.
Topics: Green Bay, Dyckesville
Wisconsin History
image

eye 33

favorite 0

comment 0

St. Norbert College De Pere, Wis Main Hall is the oldest building on St. Norbert Campus.
Topics: De Pere, Wisconsin, postcard
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 25

favorite 0

comment 0

Residents hit gold with quiet rural life The name conjures up visions of grizzled prospectors in worn dungarees peering down into their tin pans, hoping to spy a fortune. But this Oconto County community is actually the home to farmers and business owners who revel in a quiet country lifestyle. The population of Klondike, about 52 miles northwest of Green Bay at County Highways B and Z, is about 26. At its core are two taverns, a grocery store and butchering business, and the remnants of a...
Topics: Klondike, Oconto County, Wisconsin, places
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 35

favorite 0

comment 0

Frank Harnachek III is settling into retirement after a career of more than 50 years with the family business, the Frank Hamachek Machine Co. of Kewaunee. He retired at the end of March from the company founded by his grandfather, Frank Hamnchek Sr., in 1880. He was president for 36 years and was the third generation to run the Kewaunee business, which makes food processing machinery. It was sold to H & K Inc. of Waukesha in 1986. Hamachek stayed on during the transition period after the...
Topics: Kewaunee, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
by Amy Silvers
texts

eye 23

favorite 0

comment 0

Al Vandertie of Algoma will probably be the only one who isn't from Belgium singing Walloon songs at the "Old Ways in the New World" Festival of American Folklife at the Smithsonian Institute, Washington, D.C. The Institute was searching for someone to sing the old Walloon songs as part of the festival. Francois Lempereur and a television film crew from Belgium, touring the United States in 1975, stopped in Algoma. Lempereur had mentioned Vandertie's name at the Smithsonian before...
Topics: Belgian, Walloon, folk songs, music
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 35

favorite 0

comment 0

In 1975, the Joel Fisk House on the northwest corner of Shawano and Oakland streets was occupied by the Fort Howard branch library. The home was built in 1862 by Green Bay Mayor Joel Fisk, and was sold to the city for use as a library in 1927. The branch closed in 1978.
Topics: Green Bay, tbt, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 123

favorite 0

comment 0

After 20 years on North Quincy Street, this Prange Way will close Tuesday and move into the East Town Shopping Center, where it will reopen Sept. 15 1982. The East Town Mall in Green Bay, Wisconsin opened in 1982; originally anchored by Kohl's and Prange Way. The Prange Way chain, headquartered in De Pere, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Oct 1995.
Topics: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 41

favorite 0

comment 0

During the French period in Northeastern Wisconsin (about 1630-1840 or so) there was a wide acceptance of people of mixed American Indian and European descent, and there was a wide tolerance of lifestyles. With about 200 years of intermarriage, a large part of the population of this part of the state was multiracial. Government estimates of the mid-1800s said more than half of the Menominees were of mixed racial heritage. A count of whites in the Green Bay region in 1824 showed 130 men, of whom...
Topic: 150 yrs
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 45

favorite 0

comment 0

The need for bigger jail facilities was a problem in Kewaunee County in 1876. The answer was to build a jail with eight secure cells. But what was unique was that attached to this one story building was a two story building to house the sheriff and his family. One of the long line of occupants was Sheriff Charles Lutien.  He died unexpectedly in 1925  and the governor appointed Lutien's wife, Emma, to complete her husband's term as sheriff. Thus she became the first woman sheriff in...
Topics: 150 yrs, Kewaunee County
Wisconsin History
by Lisa Sumter
texts

eye 19

favorite 0

comment 0

The "Land of Lincoln'' in Kewaunee County is a prime farming spot with a strong Belgian heritage and a neighborly atmosphere. Proof that the community was named for the nation's 16th preaident is elusive. One could argue there is a connection between Abraham Lincoln and the community's original name. Grand-Lez, which in Belgian mean tall and homely. Mildred Kinnard has lived on the farm for 42 year and remembers when Lincoln had a cheese factory, store, feed mill and Koenig's Ballroom, a...
Topics: Lincoln, Kewaunee County, Wisconsin, places
Wisconsin History
by Ken Behrend
texts

eye 13

favorite 0

comment 0

Namur The Dream Vanished
Topics: Namur, Door County, Wisconsin
Lawns And Bandstand At Riverside Park, Manitowoc, Wis.
Topics: Manitowoc, Wisconsin, postcard
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 49

favorite 1

comment 0

Le Captaine's Grocery Store Le Capitaine's Since 1897, closed in 1998 1464 University Ave, Green Bay, WI 54302 At the Corner of Forest St and University Ave. John LeCapitaine opened the grocery store in 1887 on the same site but a few feet closer to the street.  Bob and Dave LeCapitaine then operated their fathers business.  The store closed after 101 years because of too much competition from the larger grocery stores.
Topics: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 143

favorite 0

comment 0

Weyauwega Derailment -1996 A railroad accident that occurred in Weyauwega, Wisconsin, USA, in the early morning hours of March 4, 1996. The derailed train was carrying a large quantity of hazardous material, which immediately caught fire. The fire, which involved the train cars and an adjacent feed mill, burned for more than two weeks after the actual derailment, resulting in the emergency evacuation of 2,300 people for 16 days, including the entire city of Weyauwega, with about 1,700 evacuees.
Topics: Weyauwega, Wisconsin, accident, disaster
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 36

favorite 0

comment 0

Washington Island - Residents know each other well. As John Rose brought his wife Gerrie home from a Green Bay hospital, he was concerned they would walk into a messy house. He needn't have worried. While the couple was away, someone entered their Washington Island home, not to ransack it, but to clean it and get it ready for the returning couple. Residents say this kind of caring is typical on this 20-square-mile island off the point of the Door County Penninsula. Some say it keeps the...
Topics: Washington Island, Door County, Wisconsin, places
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 12

favorite 0

comment 0

The Salvator Mineral Springs bottling plant and spring was located between 601 and 615 S. Monroe Ave. in Green Bay. Around the turn of the century, drinking and bathing in mineral springs became a popular health craze. Early in the century, Green Bay's wetlands produced numerous natural cold springs, many serving as spring houses to store refrigerated goods. Salvator was one of four mineral spring companies operating in the area when this photo was taken about 1900. Salvator Mineral Springs...
Topics: Green Bay, tbt, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 19

favorite 0

comment 0

The building of the present church began on Easter Monday of 1876 and was entirely the work of the congregation, which also made all of the interior furnishings. The first priest to serve the congregation was the Rev. Martin Smits, who said the first Mass on the Feast of Pentecost in 1877. During his term he built a parish house and a church sacristy at his own expense and took up residence at Martinsville, now Tonet, in the winter of l878-79. -- In 1992, under the pastoral leadership of Rev....
Topics: Catholic, church
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 114

favorite 1

comment 0

1994 Cooperstown Tornado Tornado gave no warning Storm damage exceeds $1 million
Topics: Cooperstown, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, tornado, disaster
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 19

favorite 0

comment 0

Fort Howard banker David McCartney, center, opened his Fort Howard Electric Railway in 1895. It provided streetcar service for what is now Green Bay's west side. In July 1897 the first streetcar passed over the Main Street Bridge. More than two years after the consolidation of the Green Bay and Fort Howard, the merger of the two cities became even more a reality.
Topics: 150 yrs, Green Bay, Fort Howard
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 32

favorite 0

comment 0

Stone School: De Pere’s 1st High School - 1857 Castle in the Hill School 1899-1939
Topics: De Pere, Wisconsin, school
Wisconsin History
image

eye 134

favorite 0

comment 0

Happy Holzem's Hall was at 4066 Shawano Avenue, just northeast of the Shawano/Greenfield junction.  It was Happy Hanson's Hall previously, and other names before and since like Williquette's Hall.  Probably the longest stretch under the same name was Danceland Ballroom from perhaps 1973 to 1993.  The Danceland building in Howard was razed Jan 5, 2000.
Topics: Howard, Brown County, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 27

favorite 0

comment 0

Jeff Simon, 37, Green Valley Feed Mill manager, said the bank closing slowed down the community. "It was one more drawing card for the town. If the farmers came to town, they stopped here." "Almost everybody is rather laidback," Postmaster Carol Hudson said. "You're always watching out for your neighbor."  Hudson, 48, has been here long enough to know. Her folks once ran a ballroom that featured big bands and drew people from miles around. It closed two years ago....
Topics: Green Valley, Shawano County, Wisconsin, places
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 118

favorite 1

comment 0

Racine 1940 Telephone Directory
Topics: racine, wisconsin, city directory, directory
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 26

favorite 1

comment 0

Consolidation of school districts at De Pere was rejected by 312 votes in a special referendum. Tuesday.  Merger Hopes Quashed
Topics: De Pere, Wisconsin, schools, news
Wisconsin History
image

eye 53

favorite 0

comment 0

The Denmark Brewing Company was founded in 1932 by John Jorgensen after the repeal of prohibition. John Jorgensen served as President. John Langraf, Raymond Stark, and Peter Stark were the brewmasters. The Denmark Brewing Company sold their beer under the Old Town lager and 20th Century Pale brand names, and averaged about 15,000 barrels per year. The brewery had one bottling line, with about half of the beer being bottled, and the other half going out in kegs. In 1947, the Starks sold the...
Topics: Denmark, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 19

favorite 0

comment 0

The Camelot Bar and Restaurant, 1301 S. Broadway, in Green Bay was photographed in 1972.
Topics: Green Bay, tbt, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 34

favorite 0

comment 0

Travelers taking a Sunday drive in the town of Pittsfield probably cruise right through Anston, admiring the scenery on County C or mooing at cows glimpsed from Anston Road. About 35 Anston residents know - and they wouldn't trade their slice of rural heaven for anything. Their ancestors may have attended the now-defunct Anston School, which once had eight grades and a single teacher. Relatives may have worked for one of Anston's formerly thriving businesses a feed mill, pickle factory, lumber...
Topics: Anston, Brown County, Wisconsin, places
Wisconsin History
by Jim Ward
texts

eye 11

favorite 0

comment 0

Early home of George Vandertie family was a log cabin
Topics: Brussels, Door County, Wisconsin
Wisconsin History
texts

eye 212

favorite 0

comment 0

Tower Drive Bridge Crash - 1990 52-vehicle collision due to dense fog.
Topics: Green Bay, Wisconsin, history, bridge, fog, crash, accident